Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Oxymoron

One of the things about winter in Logan is that sometimes cabinfever motivates me to create Frankinstins like this.
I've adapted this 2 hp Briggs and Stratton to this Nishiki 21 speed Mt bike. I had the motor mount bent up by local fab shop and I'm using a syntrifical clutch/torque converter to deliver power to the rear tire.
Pillow blocks hold the jackshaft right where the old crank use to be. I had to adapt/tig a small bicycle sprocket to a keyed colar thats on the jackshaft. (hidden behind pillow block).


A belt will be soon fitted to the torque converter.



I still need to break the chain and shorten it. A neat thing about this contraption is that its not limited to the syntrifical clutch for variable speed. It also has the seven gears on the rear sprocket. I don't plan to be scraping bugs from my teeth due to mach speeds however, I do expect this to clip along and maintain speed on the flat. Lots of work still to do. I'll keep you posted.




1 comment:

dave said...

i love this one. are you taking orders?